The Armies of Heaven
And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses.
Revelation 19:14, ESV
As a kid, I can recall singing the old song when the Saints go marching in. This song actually originated as a Protestant him and still remains a popular song of revelation and redemption today. Louis Armstrong made it famous with a big band New Orleans style in 1939 transformed the song into a timeless jazz tune!
What an amazing and exciting experience this will be. The Bible tells us that this Army is from heaven, riding in on white war horses as well. This army is composed of both people and the Angels from heaven. All throughout the scriptures, there are references to this idea.
- Zechariah 14:5 … the Lord my God will come in all his holy ones with him.
- Matthew 25:31… When the Son of Man comes in his glory and all the angels with him he will sit on his glorious throne.
- 1 Thessalonians 3:13… When our Lord Jesus comes again with his holy people amen.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:7… When the Lord Jesus appears from Heaven. He will come with his mighty angels.
- Jude 1:14… The Lord is coming with countless thousands of his holy ones.
The scene is a reminder of that the Chronicles of Narnia and the Lord of the Rings were creatures from another world ally with humans to destroy the evil once and for all. A wave of righteous warriors will come to conquer, they will be led by King Jesus, and all the soldier saints and Angelic Armies will follow in the greatest battle ever to be fought on earth. Some may ask how many Saints will be there? Hebrews 12:22, saying there is an “innumerable” amount that no one will be able to count. As far as the eye can see the Saints will come marching in!
The Bible likens the Christian faith to that of a soldier. (2 Timothy 2:3) A soldier is ready to fight for what matters most. Loyal to one's country and willing to die for it. Do you love your heavenly country? Are you fighting for what matters most?