Daily Devo - A Gospel Marriage - Day 5
Day 5 – 3 of the Most Important Ingredients for Marriage Relationships
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”
This Bible verse tells us that we need to become one. That’s doesn’t make sense. 1 man + 1 woman = 2. But the Bible says in marriage 1+1 = one flesh. The Biblical terms to help understand this are the following.
- “Leave” – a shift of loyalties from your parents to a new set of loyalties with your spouse. Create a new family as husband and wife. Create a new name, create a new life together!
- “Hold fast” – be stuck to, bonded to, glued to; it’s a continual commitment as a permanent relational bond. It’s referring to the permanency of marriage. God’s plan A is to stick together!
- “Become one” – it’s ongoing emotional, physical, and spiritual intimacy between one man and one woman within the context of marriage.
In this pursuit of oneness in marriage, there are three essential ingredients for a happy and healthy marriage relationship that will not only bring God glory but will be for your good!
- Study your spouse – learn what they like and what they don’t. It changes all the time.
- Praise for the little things – survey the scene all the time. Look for things that you appreciate and communicate. Say what you like and love about the person. Healthy relationships are filled with far more positive moments and connections than negative. Praise the littlest things.
- Be the friend. Healthy marriages look to their spouse not simply as a partner, or lover, but their friend. Serve your friend, listen to your friend, and respond to your friend.
Do what you can to be the person God has called you to be. Remember that everything you do should be unto the Lord.
More in North Valley Community Blog
July 31, 2020How Do Christians Respond to Politics?
July 30, 2020What the Bible Says About God and Government?
July 29, 2020Bad Ideas of Christians About Government | Dangerous River #3