United Part 22: Grafted In By Grace
Topic: Romans Scripture: Romans 11:1–11:24
- The City: Rome’s house church movement and cultural context
- The People: Gentiles are all non-ethnic Jewish people
- The Illustration: The Gentiles = Wild Olive Tree, The Jews = Olive Tree
- Grafted in: Grafting is where the tissues of one plant are affixed to the tissues of another
- The problem was that Gentiles were subject to make the same mistakes as the Israelites, falling into pride and arrogance, self-centered meism faith.
GRAFTED IN BY GRACE...
#1 Live in such a way that others get jealous for God
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
- First-fruits & Roots: refer patriarchs and promises of God
- Olive Tree & Wild Olive Tree: refer to the people of God (Jews) and Gentiles
#2 Do not be arrogant towards others
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
#3 Stand fast through faith
There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy.