United Part 17: Are You Living By the Spirit?
Topic: Romans Scripture: Romans 8:1–8:17
The Holy Spirit is one of the three persons of the Trinity whose work it is to manifest the active presence of God in the word and especially in the church
- We saw that the law exposed our sin, but now the spirit enables us to obey it
- God's Spirit dwells within every believer permanently.
Cultural Problems: Most of us have no idea what that means or looks like to live by the Spirit.
- The Christian Mystics
- The Spiritualists
ARE LIVING BY THE SPIRIT?
#1 ARE YOU DELIVERED? (1-4)
Who will deliver me from this body of death? ..... Jesus Christ (7:24–25)
For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus..... (2)
How are we delivered?
- Believers are not condemned because of Christ
- God set us free through the Spirit’s work
- The Father sent his sinless son to die for our sin
- Jesus fulfilled the law perfectly
God delivers from sin to Christ through the Holy Spirit
Justification: An instantaneous legal act of God in which he (1) thinks of our sins as forgiven and Christ’s righteousness as belonging to us, and (2) declares us to be righteous in his sight.
- Jesus Christ is the basis for our the Christian Life.
#2 ARE YOU DIFFERENT? (5-11)
You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. (9)
“He convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, and by his powerful and mysterious work regenerates spiritually dead sinners, awakening them to repentance and faith”
- The Spirit regenerates imparting new spiritual life making us different
#3 ARE YOU DETERMINED? (12-16)
Perseverance of the Saints: The doctrine that all those who are truly “born again” will be kept by God’s power and will persevere as Christians until the end of their lives, and that only those who persevere until the end have been truly “born again.
First, determine to FIGHT SIN.
For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. (13)
Church History in Fighting Sin
The Christian life is a life of continual repentance. To repent is to turn to God from a fear of his judgment, and to live a life of mortification of the flesh and vivification in the Spirit. - John Calvin
This work, which begins in the new birth, is carried on in two ways—mortification, whereby the lusts of the flesh are subdued and kept under; and vivification, by which the life which God has put within us is made to be a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. This is carried on every day in what is called “perseverance,” - Spurgeon
- Mortification is the putting to death or the denial of self and sin, both inward and outwardly.
- Vivification is the bringing to life by the enabling power of the spirit working inwardly and outwardly in the believers life to please and obey God on a daily basis.
Practical Steps to Fight Sin in for our Sanctification:
Sanctification: A progressive work of God and man that makes us more and more free from sin and more like Christ in our actual lives.
- TRY by the spirit’s enabling power to identify and confront
- Repent, when you FAIL and find forgiveness
- LEARN from your mistakes and try again
Second, determine to LIVE WITH A NEW FAMILY
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. (14)
The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God. (16)
We all can help celebrate life in the Family through Baptism & Baby dedications
- Baptism is prescribed as an imperative command: Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ .... Acts 2:38
- Baptism is described as an immediate action after salvation: ... they were going along the road, they came to some water; and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water! What is to prevent me from being baptized?” He commanded the chariot to stop, and both of them, Philip and the eunuch, went down into the water, and Philip baptized him. Acts 8:36-38
For this is the will of God, your sanctification.... I Thessalonians 4:3
MAIN IDEA: Living by the Spirit means that by God’s grace you have been Delivered, you are Different and Determined to live for God’s glory in your life from here on out.