United - Part 6: We need confidence...
October 28, 2012 Series: United
Topic: Romans Scripture: Romans 2:17–2:24
“The Jews had an almost superstitious confidence” - John Stott
Confidence is the feeling of belief that one can rely on someone or something, firm trust.
WE NEED CONFIDENCE...
#1 NOT FOUND IN KNOWLEDGE ALONE (17-24)
• This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship
me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men. (Matthew 15:8-9)
• You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe and shudder! (James 2:19)
“When confidence comes only in what you know, you will stop to grow”
> Knowledge ≠ a love & life for Jesus
#2 NOT IN GOOD DEEDS ALONE (25-29)
• On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast
out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’  And then will I
declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness. (Matthew
• We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted
garment. (Isaiah 64:6)
“If it’s about what you do, you start to think the world depends on you”
> Good deeds ≠ a love & life for Jesus
3 QUESTIONS (3:1-8)
#1 Question What’s our advantage as God’s chosen people?
Answer You have a privileged responsibility.
#2 Question: What if some of us are unfaithful and fail is God still faithful?
Answer: Everyone on the planet fails, sins, but God never fails. He is always faithful
#3 Question: If my failures show God’s faithfulness, why not sin more?
Answer: An attitude like that, isn’t even Christian at all
#3 IN CHRIST ALONE
• “The righteous shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:17b)
• I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the
life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for
me. (Galatians 2:20)
• And I am sure (confident) of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to
completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)
“Confidence is Christ in me, even when, I can’t see”
> A love & life for Jesus = knowledge & good deeds
Cultivating a Confidence in Christ?
• Take interest in heart work: What’s God teaching me?
• Listen Look for the Holy Spirit: Where is God leading me?
• Live for the Praise of God: Who’s praise am I living for?
What one area of my life do I need to make a bold move?