The Shield of Faith
DAY 3 – The Shield of Faith
“In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can
extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one.”
In the movie Gladiator, there is a scene where Maximus and his fellow gladiators are in the Roman Coliseum, waiting for the gates to open for an unknown enemy that will surely unleash brutality with fury.
Maximus says to his men as they wait, "Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of survival if we work together. If we stay together, we survive. Come together. Lock your shields, stay as one!”
A SHIELD WALL
As Christians, we must understand that the war isn’t won in isolation. It takes fellow soldiers of the faith to help us stand strong against the schemes of the devil. In Paul’s day, these shields were built in such a way that soldiers could line up, lock them together, and make a wall that could withstand arrows that had been dipped into a flammable mixture and shot at one’s enemy.
As Christians, we need shield soldiers that will be that cover and protection for others. We need walls to withstand the enemy’s attacks. We need believers to stand together for the faith. This faith that the Apostle Paul is talking about is not saving faith but living faith. We are called to live out our faith, to be the man or woman God has called us to be in our daily lives. The war will be surely lost in the battle for our faith if believers don’t take up the shield of faith and protect themselves and others from the fiery darts of the devil.
DARTS OF THE DEVIL
- You start asking yourself, “Does God really care? Can I really trust God’s word? Everyone has their own interpretation!”
- Satan says, “You’re losing the battle, you might as well end it. You can’t change. Stop wasting everyone’s time. It’s not worth it.”
- You start asking yourself, “What’s taking so long? Is God even listening to me? If God was going to do something, he would have done it by now.”
- You say to yourself, “Why is this so hard? Why is it so hard to make my marriage work? Why is it so hard to have good kids or job, etc.! Christians aren’t supposed to have this kind of difficulty, right?”
- Satan says, “You have nothing in common. You are better than they are. It’s time to cut your losses and move on. It’s not worth working out your difference. They will never change. Don’t waste your breath. Be done with them. They are your enemy.”
As a Christian we need a shield wall of warriors that will surround us and help defend and deflect the darts of the devil that will destroy or churches, our homes, and our families. We are called to win, so we must hold up this shield of faith.
The Christian life starts and ends with faith. The whole life is a life of faith (Romans 1:17). We are to take each day with a step of faith, we live by faith not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7). We must accept that the righteous are called to live by faith (Hebrews 11:8), not shrink back. As Christians, we can say in faith, “I can do this.” Without faith, you can do nothing. With faith, you can move mountains (Matthew 17:20).
The Christian life is a living faith adventure. The fun is in seeing the prayers filled faith come to fruition. Seeing the faith of believers going against the odds, overcoming roadblocks, breaking through a barrier. This is done by faith. Take up that shield of faith.
One of the best ways you can strengthen your faith is to test it. Start praying about how you can give, serve, or share your faith. These are some of the greatest faith builders. They stretch us and challenge us to do what’s not easy. In return, we can trust God’s promise of reward and blessing.